Help!!! My desktop contains icons for deleted files. How do I fix this?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Aug 12 04:34:42 UTC 2008

Peter Williams wrote:
> The subject says it all. On my desktop { /home/user/Desktop folder }
> there are icons for programs & files which I moved to the Trash.
> However, the power went off and the pc lost power. When the power was
> restored - I now still have the icons on the desktop, but if I click on
> them (eg to open them) I get a message that the file cannot be found.
> (eg the icons are on the Desktop but the point to non-existant files!)

On an empty desktop press the space bar, then one of the icons should be
highlighted. With the arrow keys navigate to one of the icons you want to
remove and then press shift-del. You should be asked to confirm if you
want to remove the icon. After the confirmation you can navigate to the
next icon etc.

Nils