NBC will not play video for linux!! Time for a lettering?

Howard Coles dhcolesj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 15:58:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 7:38 AM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 10 August 2008, Knapp wrote:
> >>
> http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0810_hd_swb_hl_l1626r1
> >
> > I agree, but I think the chinese are controlling that by requiring
> > Silverlight to be used as the transport, which has all sorts of drm
> > restrictions they can control.
>
> I don't think it's got anything to do with the Chinese.

Actually, the fact that you can't run the video on Linux has nothing to do
with them, that's the MickeySoft part, but the content of what video you CAN
see, IS controlled by the Chinese Government.  I heard the NBC news reporter
admit that they had to get all their video and audio feeds approved by the
government before they could be broadcast.  Now, if NBC was lying about
that, then that's another issue, but I wouldn't think that would be the
case.  But, who knows.

Either way I have refused to watch any of it because of both parts.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.