slightly OT: Internet weirdities

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 09:33:05 UTC 2008

2008/8/8 Jeff <kubuntu.user at bulkmail.letterboxes.org>:
>> Willy posted from a gmail address, so your trace of the IP addresses
>> in his header would only lead you back to google's servers.
>
> Please check your assertions first.
>
> The relevant section from the headers is:
>        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id j2sm1257912mue.8.2008.08.07.15.38.42
>        (version=SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5); Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:38:45 -0700
> (PDT)
>
> Obviously 192.168.0.53 is the internal address of the PC composing
> the message. 212.254.233.9 is the external address from which the
> message was sent to mx.google.com using

> The headers would have been different if the message had been posted
> using Gigglemail's web interface in the way that you did. In that
> event you correctly describe how they only list the IP Address of the
> https server presenting the web page to the user.

As I am also in Gmail, I _thought_ that I could not see the original
message headers. I have now seen that I _can_ check the headers in
Gmail, so I apologize for assuming your inaccuracy. I also happen to
know that Willy is not in the UK (or until recently was not) so that
is why I assumed that you had read backwards.

>> Furthermore, I suspect that you traced in the wrong direction,
>> mistaking the destination for the origin, which is why you see you own
>> ISP's address at the end.
>
> I know my IP address, its reverse DNS, and the IP address of my
> mailserver, and they are not the ones that I traced! I do not see my
> own ISPs address anywhere on that email.

I see. I am sorry for making the assumption.

>> As for Willy's concern, I also see erratic download speeds from *buntu
>> mirrors. I have never made the association with pinging, and figured
>> that it was a fault of my ISP. It has never been so bad that's I've
>> had to complain.
>
> If he is using Tiscali, or a reseller thereof, then one only has to
> look at http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=tiscali to get a whole lot
> of (bad) news about the company.

As for most ISP, I am afraid...
I actually paid a bit more for internet access than most people as my
area was serviced by a terrific ISP: Actcom. However, a terrible ISP
has since bought them and service is declining rapidly. While Actcom
was very Linux-friendly, the new ISP (Bezeq Beinleumi) is afraid of
the L-word.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com