Kde 4.1 thoughts

Steve C. Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Fri Aug 8 18:56:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 01:19:08PM -0500, p.daniels wrote:
> On Friday August 8 2008 12:50:30 Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> >     I am still cold to the whole "plasmoid" thing.  Seriously, they're
> > applications inside non-standard window controls.

> No they're not. They're widget containers that can house almost any kind of
> widget written in most any language, and put it anywhere on the screen(s).

    This is different than what a WM does how, exactly?  The WM puts a fraim
around a widget, er, application written in most any language and puts it
anywhere on the screens.

> Put widgets on the desktop, put widgets on only desktops 2 and 3, put
> widgets in the panel on odd-numbered desktops, put widgets in widgets.

   This is different than me putting applications on only desktops 2 and 3
how, exactly?  Same thing.

> applications, so you could (for instance) drag the icon for your inbox out
> of Kontact's window onto the desktop or onto a panel and viola! Your inbox
> is now a plamoid. This is cool stuff.

    Yes, yes, and pie-in-the-sky boredom, really.  Let me know when I can
finally integrate vim into KMail.  I don't are to see my inbox on my desktop,
but having my editor embedded into clients is golden.  Something that parts
were supposed to do 10 years ago.

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       | main connection to the switchboard of souls.