kontact (KDEv4.1) and Google Calendar

Michael W. Holdeman chief at porterfire.org
Fri Aug 8 17:06:08 UTC 2008

On Friday 08 August 2008 12:30:02 Alain Muls wrote:
> On Friday 08 August 2008 17:54:12 kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> wrote:
> > On Friday 08 August 2008 04:56:53 Alain Muls wrote:
> > > Hi Kubuntu-users
> > >
> > > I am trying to make a switch from HH KDEv3.5 to HH KDEv4.1.
> > > I managed to convert my thunderbird mail and address book to kontact
> > > with only very minor problems. A first question is the following: is
> > > the information in the address book used throughout all KDE programs,
> > > eg Kopete?
> > >
> > > Another problem I have not solved is how to access a Google Calendar I
> > > use into kontact. How does one synchronize the korganizer calendar with
> > > the Google calendar?
> > >
> > > Tx/Alain
> >
> > I recently set this up with GCaldaemon. Google it as I dont remember
> > exactly how I did it. It does work pretty well for me, but I am still
> > having trouble with kontact 4.1 getting the resource colors correct and
> > making them stick. I use it with 7 different google cal's and it syncs
> > well.
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> That is cool, how do you specify more than 1 google calendar since I would
> like to do it with 3 (1 for 2-way sync, the others just read-only)
I was unable to get kitchensync to work.

GCaldaemon have to set up each cal separetly. Hang on I'll look for the guide
I used....... Ah here you go..   http://www.linux.com/feature/122054, and also
here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=184382&package_id=215529&abmode=1

Hope this helps.

I use kontact for my email, including gmail, the calendar as I said now is
goofing up with not sticking the settings, and not showing the proper colors
for resources,.. havent looked into that yet, but I also noticed that
switching from weekly to monthly cal's takes FOREVER??

I dont use akregator anymore as I think google reader works better to my
taste.

I have always used koragnizer for a long time now but am considering just
using google calendar as I like the way it prints better for me and my
purposes. I will try it when google gears is set to work properly with google
calendar, for now I can us them both with gcaldaemon keeping my cals up to
date with korganizer.

Mike

--
Michael W. Holdeman