man pages

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Aug 8 15:18:40 UTC 2008

Donn wrote:
> On Friday, 08 August 2008 15:42:53 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>
>> man files are great, but are a bit old fashioned, and don't serve
>> the user's needs in a graphical environment.
>>
> Try reading them via Konqueror (maybe Dolphin too?)
> Type "man: command" in the address bar.
>
> \d

I hope any programmers here don't take this wrong. You guys do great
stuff at what your best at. BUT, most times programmers aren't the best
at writing up the instructions for the software you write.

Like "man" pages. They assume a knowledge base that some just don't
have. I know I don't. Most man pages are just gibberish for me. I
haven't a clue what half the stuff they're telling me is, or does.

The same goes or many of the "wiki" pages that I find. They are written
by people that find it second nature to do what their trying to tell
other what to do. If you don't have the knowledge base necessary it is
nearly impossible to decipher.