KDE 4.1 - just an opinion

Gordon Schulz gordon.schulz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 13:55:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:34, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Well, I was a KDE3 early adopter (I remember going through the same process
> with kde2 and kde3 side by side), and afaict it was much more usable at 3.0
> than 4.0 was, and I'm not holding out much hope for 4.1.
I wasn't using KDE at the time, but I seem to remember that the
transition (library- and feature-wise) from 2.x to 3.0 was more
of a continuation of the 2.x series with API rewrites (I think DCOP, KIO
etc etc were all introduced during the 2.x cycle).
Considering that KDE 4.x has LOTS of new technologies and technical changes
iMHO it's a bit of comparing apples and oranges. But then again...
We'd bump into the discussion of 'was it wise to release 4.0... was it wise
to create all that new stuff' again, which I'd like to avoid.
(personal opinion as I'm using 4.1 right now: it definately was).
--
Gordon.