CDs not recognized in 8.04.1

Eric ejazzkatt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 13:57:05 UTC 2008

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2008/8/6 Eric <ejazzkatt at gmail.com>:
>> I tried that. There was no change. I've got to figure this out or else I
>> won't be able to use Kubuntu, at least not 8.04.1.
>>
>> Eric
>>

> Strange i was sure that was the problem. Can you give me the output of
> "ls -l /dev/cd*" and "ls -l /dev/dvd*" and "ls -l /dev/scd*". Any sign
> in dmesg of your cd/dvd? Search with "dmesg | grep -i dvd".
>
> / Jonas

I just tried again. This time the DVD drive loaded the DVD. The other
drive attempted to load a CD but failed. It did try to play an audio CD
but neither Amorok or Kaffiene would play it. I have suspected that
there is something wrong with this drive for awhile. Sometimes the drive
light will go on and stay on for a long time even when there is no CD in
it. If I have a chance this weekend, I 'll try swapping with another
drive that I have.

Thanks for your help.

Eric