set up a root password

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Aug 6 12:48:17 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Nils Kassube wrote:
>Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > OTOH, that shell with root priv's should somehow make itself marked
>> > as such by a border color change or something, as when popping around
>> > to the various terminal shells running, it would be too easy to hit
>> > the wrong but root shell and mess the whole thing up.
>>
>> Can you imagine a way to do this?  It's a good idea, but I don't know
>> if it could be done.
>
>You could put something like this line
>
>[ "$UID" = 0 ] && PS1='\[\033[01m\033[41m\033[37m\]\h: \w/ #\[\033[m\] '
>
>in the files $HOME/.bashrc and /root/.bashrc right before this line:
>
>export PS1 PS2 ignoreeof
>
>It will give you a white prompt with red background independent of the way
>you get a root shell.
>

>Nils

That looks as if it should work nicely.  One other question?  I'm in a root
shell, and I want to build the latest amanda snapshot, so I "su amanada;cd"
which puts me in ~/amanda where I build these.  Will it keep that background I
have while I'm running as amanda, in this same shell?  It seems like it
would, but ATM I haven't checked.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)