Login Manager!

Alvin info at alvin.be
Wed Aug 6 08:32:15 BST 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 06:41:22 John Pierce wrote:
> Where can I choose the login manager?  I would prefer to use GDM
> rather than KDM.

You can install gdm. It will automatically be set as the default login
manager. You can also choose the default login manager with the following
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm (or gdm, or kdm-kde4)

> Where can I set the ability to login to a machine remotely, I would
> like to do this across my local
> network.

XDMCP is insecure, but in most local networks, there's no need to worry.
Ubuntu (or Gnome) has a graphical tool to configure this with gdm.

If you're using kdm, execute the following instructions:

Edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc (or /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc)
comment the following line:
#ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp
(important part is the removal of '-nolisten tcp')

Edit /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess (or /etc/kde4/kdm/Xaccess)
Easiest method is uncommenting *

You're done now. Restart X.

On the client pc (actually the server), choose 'Remote Login' in the login
manager. You will probably see the XDMCP host. Just select it and log in.

Now, there is something that possibly will go wrong while disabling '-nolisten
tcp'. See https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/14497 for a solution.

Good luck