Login Manager!

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 05:22:34 UTC 2008

On Wednesday, 06 August 2008 06:41:22 John Pierce wrote:
> Where can I set the ability to login to a machine remotely, I would
> like to do this across my local
> network.
The easiest way (I have found) is to enable ssh on your 'server'. Install
sshd, set it up (not too hard, lots of advice on the web) and then use ssh
(from a konsole) from your other machine, something like this:
ssh user at hostname

If you want to run gui apps on your client machine (if it's Gnu/Linux *):
ssh -X user at hostname
Now you can start things like: konqueror &

* If it's not then you need to install a X server and so on, but this is not
that hard to do. Until I replaced win XP on my laptop I used putty and a free
X server to run gui apps from my Kubuntu box on my win desktop.

There are cool things like sshfs which let you mount another machine on  a
local drive. You can also use fish://user@hostname/directory directly from
konqueror. Nautilus (Gnome file manager) handles it through sftp (secure ftp)
but it amounts to the same thing.

It's secure, fast and very convenient.

\d