set up a root password

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Aug 6 05:03:04 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > OTOH, that shell with root priv's should somehow make itself marked
> > as such by a border color change or something, as when popping around
> > to the various terminal shells running, it would be too easy to hit
> > the wrong but root shell and mess the whole thing up.
>
> Can you imagine a way to do this?  It's a good idea, but I don't know
> if it could be done.

You could put something like this line

[ "$UID" = 0 ] && PS1='\[\033[01m\033[41m\033[37m\]\h: \w/ #\[\033[m\] '

in the files $HOME/.bashrc and /root/.bashrc right before this line:

export PS1 PS2 ignoreeof

It will give you a white prompt with red background independent of the way
you get a root shell.

Nils