set up a root password

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 6 00:49:46 UTC 2008

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > OTOH, that shell with root priv's should somehow make itself marked as
>> > such by a border color change or something, as when popping around to
>> > the various terminal shells running, it would be too easy to hit the
>> > wrong but root shell and mess the whole thing up.
>>
>> Can you imagine a way to do this?  It's a good idea, but I don't know if
>> it could be done.
>
> It can be done.    When I used to run SuSE I once logged into KDE with the
> root account.  The entire background screen was blood red with skull and
> crossbones (IIRC)  and I never did that again.   Just used a konsole
> session to su to root   like I do with kubuntu.

But what you're doing is logging into KDE with an account that's set to have
a specific background.  That part's easy.  What I'm thinking of, and I
think what Gene meant, is that when I'm in my own account and I open a
terminal (e.g. konsole) window it gets a certain background color - then
when I use "sudo" it would change the background for the duration of
the "sudo" command.  I think you couldn't do it for a non-interactive
command (which is less important, anyway) but it might be possible with the
bash settings for "sudo -i" (ie, bash sets a background color itself in the
root login)
--
derek