set up a root password

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Aug 5 21:01:12 UTC 2008

I came to *ubuntu from windows by way of another main stream distro. All
I have to maintain is my one system.........well........and my
laptop(s). I'm the only user for this machine. It is hooked to the web
through about six firewalls [ maintained by my ISP not me ]. I keep
nothing of a sensitive nature on the computer. I'm obviously NOT a
Poweruser, Geek, or any of that sort of user. I'm just an average "Home
User". I do e-mail, browse the web, do a little genealogy research,
spend WAY to much money on eBay, that sort of thing. I also try to
convert as many people as possible to Linux, *ubuntu in particular.

At first it was kind of weired not having a root password but now I find
it no big deal. Anything I NEED to do is done with sudo which works just
as well as a separate "root" account.

I kind of think it's about time Linux stepped out of it's "Geek" culture
and realized it's people like me that are the future if it ever wants to
get anywhere. This might not set to well with the "oldtimers" but it's
how it is.

Ok, now that I've pissed off a bunch of people I will go back to lurking
in the shadows. Have a nice day.