set up a root password

cliff weisgerber cliff at kliphy.com
Tue Aug 5 17:45:25 UTC 2008

Call me a geek - I *am* a geek - but a system is not useful to me if I
cannot do what needs to be done.  I can certainly keep other users from
hurting themselves while I have my way with the system and I don't think
that is a problem.  For those wishing to increase their knowledge, mistakes
are to be expected.  Some of my best knowledge has come from mistake
recovery.

BTW, I was responsible for bringing up 100s of UN*X systems at a dinosaur of
the computer industry during the days of migration to that platform for
engineering tools.  I know how to maintain control of not just one, but a
network of systems and how to keep unknowledgeable users - like traditional
MEs - from hurting themselves and others.

If you want a fail-safe, no-brainer buy a windows box off the rack.  They
come with recovery disks you know.  A sys admin needs to have the *power*,
IMHO.

Cliff "...and now...a Scotsman on a horse..."