set up a root password

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Aug 5 17:21:50 UTC 2008

Gordon Schulz wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:57, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> I respect your right to install a root password, I just
>> think it a very bad idea to tell newbies to do that as their first task -
>> and then laugh about how they might screw everything up if they aren't
>> careful.
> Signed. As one also pointing out in this thread how to set a root
> password - not that I'd tell new users to do that, but being able to
> properly su'ing into root makes doing extensive administrative tasks a
> lot easier than sudo'ing around.

How?  "sudo -i" is only 5 characters longer than "su".  I have to concede
that su is therefore easier, but 5 characters is hardly "a lot".

What I object to is the instant jump to tell a newbie how to do something
unsupported in ubuntu - followed by "but if you break your linux one day
don't complain :) lol".  That's just irresponsible.
--
derek