two different KDE configs at once?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Aug 5 14:22:10 UTC 2008

Michael Hirsch wrote:

> Is it possible to have two different KDE configurations?

Sort of...  but maybe not for what you want.  kde4 installs into a whole
different configuration, so it's certainly possible.

> I tend to stay logged in all the time at work.  I've managed to get NX
> and my VPNworking really nicely, so when I am at home I can log in to
> my work system almost as if I am at the system.  (For those that don't
> know NX, it is a really kick-ass remote desktop system.  If you've
> ever seen how much faster Windows remote desktop is than VNC, well, NX
> is that much faster than remote desktop.)  The problem is that NX
> doesn't let you join a running session--instead, it creates a new
> session .

That's not entirely true.  I've pretty much stopped using NX, but if you use
krfb to share your desktop (as you would for VNC), you can then have nx
connect using VNC - what's different about this from regular VNC is that
it's using NX over the network, then uses VNC only on the localhost.  I
experimented with it but can't remember exactly what it was I didn't like -
it might have been too slow, but it might just have been that it
constrained the size of my NX desktop too much (when I run NX standalone,
it uses as large a desktop as fits my client, when I share another desktop,
it has to use a desktop _larger_ than the shared desktop, so that
everything fits, otherwise you are always scrolling).  One of these days,
i'd like to see NX look like seamless windows in VirtualBox.

> This new session persists across logins, but it means that
> unless I log out from my physical session, I have two KDEs running
> simultaneously.
>
> It's not such a big problem, but I'd rather not have certain programs
> start under NX and leave them for when I'm actually at the computer.

My particular complaint was kontact - because it won't let you start kontact
when it's running on another screen.  Briefly I had a working dcop script
that let me kill the other kontact, but then something was changed in
kontact that broke that.  But I can't see how it would help if I had a
different "profile" - then I still wouldn't be able to share the data in
the program.  I might as well have two separate users.
--
derek