ReiserFS

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Wed Apr 30 19:55:18 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 3:30:27 pm John Hubbard wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> > How am I'm telling people to break the law?
> > No_law_is_broken_if_you_cite_your_source!! Simple as that.
>
> If I were to copy an entire book and give it to you even if I told you
> who the author was that would still be copyright infringement.
> The law
> is trying to protect the 'artists' ability to profit from their work. If
> you redistribute the work for free they cannot profit from it. The AP is
> paid for their articles. The site you took the article from hosts adds
> and that is how the site makes its money. If you send the article
> (without the adds) they cannot make money.

I absolutely agree with you.

> > What I said above made perfect sense. I think our misunderstanding is
> > where you think I am stating that copying "whole" works is not illegal. I
> > wouldn't know about that, but I do know that taking excerpts or even
> > paragraphs from an author and citing your source is_perfectly_legal.
> > there are no and, if or buts about it.
>
> Your excerpts from the article made it 'feel' like a complete article.

LOL I wasn't the one that posted the article. Fact is, I don't even think I
seen the original post. I entered this discussion a little late and I finally
realized where Derick and I were disagreeing, at least I think I have.

> Until I went back and compared the post to the article I thought that it
> had been the ENTIRE article. Until just a second ago I thought you were
> defending reproducing the entire article.

No. If I were the one that posted the original e-mail, I would have been just
too lazy to copy it all. LOL

> How much of an article can be copied is debatable. I would be curious to
> hear someone weigh in on this. Based on SlashDot it appears to be either
> legal or not worth most peoples time to go after reproductions of excerpts.

Sounds like an interesting topic. I wonder if we could discuss it here with
this being a kubuntu list and all.