Assigning ROOT a password

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Wed Apr 30 13:03:40 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 01:03:44 am Bill Vance wrote:
> Larry Hartman wrote:
>
> {snip}
>
> >My point only had meaning under the assumption of an enabled root account.
> >Why lock the back door if the front door has a gaping hole?  But this
> > point died when I realized and was simultaneously told that the root
> > account is disabled.
>
> Assuming one wanted to enable it, how would you go about doing it?

Bill:

Look to KDE Settings ==> System Administration ==> User Management for GUI.

You will need to click on Administrator Mode to see all the details and make
any changes.

I believe the *buntu recommendation is to leave it disabled due to security
reasons and to weigh the need of having this enabled against lesser security.
I believe that everything done in root can be accomplished
with "sudo"/"kdesudo", so the *need* should be exceptionally rare.

Larry