how to authenticate my local repository

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Tue Apr 29 20:25:05 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Paul S wrote:
> I've created a "trivial" repository .. just a directory with all the
> packages in it.  Used apt-ftparchive to create a Packages.gz, added a
> md5sum.txt file, and added it to my sources.list.
>
> After aptitude updating, the local repository gets included in the
> archive lists (in /var/lib/apt/lists).
>
> But, when I go to install from it, aptitude wants to download from the
> net rather than pull from the local repository.

Uhh...  am I missing something here?

What's different about your approach than just leaving the downloaded files
in  /var/cache/apt/archives/   ??     Except that your method sounds like a
log of work.

I have a central machine which I usually update via the normal download
process.  Then I copy the archive files around to various other machines and
do the updates to those.   Only one download  for  'n' many updates.   Sounds
like this is what you are trying to achieve.