ReiserFS

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Tue Apr 29 14:47:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh at bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2008, O. Sinclair wrote:
>  > I had the bad experience of a couple of crashes using ReiserFS. Went
>  > "back" to Ext3 and so far no problems whatsoever. Still on Gutsy though
>  > but the 1-2 PC I am testing with Hardy behaves very well so far
>
>  I used ResierFS for about a year back around 2000.    But I went to install a
>  new release of SuSE and the new release couldn't read the older partitions.
>  I had to copy all the data to a temp partition (ext2) and then copy it back
>  after formatting the Reiser partition with a newer version of Reiser.
>
>  Decided to never use Reiser again and have been happy with ext3 ever since.

Well, that was *8* years ago ... things change in 8 years, you know ... :-)

Use whatever makes you happy, but basing decisions based on antiquity
may not be the best way to go. I used to use ReiserFS way back when
(up till about 3 years ago), and I never had that problem. I did have
a drive start to die, and when I re-formatted it, I decided to change
to a different filesystem, mostly because I could.

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>