64 bit: these are my apps

Kelly L. Fulks kfulks at knology.net
Tue Apr 29 12:35:17 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/4/28 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
>>  >  >  * Sun Java (need it for studies)
>>  >
>>   I need it for my studies too and I had it working on my 64-bit box.  I
>>  >  believe the necessary package is called sun-java6-jdk (this is the
>>  >  development kit which I assume you need - the package for just the
>>  >  runtime environment is called sun-java6-jre).  If you need more, then
>>  >  you can try:
>>  >  apt-cache search sun java
>>  >  at the command-line.
>>  >

>>  I can't add much to this but to say that I am running 64 bit and use
>>  Firefox (really swiftweasel), java (with swift, so must be 32 bit??),
>>  wine, and google earth on it. I would tell you which was 32 bit but I
>>  don't remember. So anyway it can work.
>
> Thanks, Douglas. I see that an earlier post mentioned that Java would
> not work in Firefox, which is specifically what I need for studies.
> You post makes me see that it is possible. I may install 64 bit later
> this week. Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Dotan,

I have loaded 64 bit Kubuntu on a new machine.  I loaded 7.10 as I don't
like loading the latest release so quickly after it comes out on my
"production" machine.  I don't necessarily use all the applications that
you use, but I wanted to relate my experience as a first time x86_64 user.

Overall, the experience has been very good.  The install went smooth, I
had to use a text install as I couldn't seem to get the live CD to work
with my dual 7300GT video cards (personal problem I later discovered).
Everything installed and worked as expected (more or  less).

I had to go through a couple of minor hoops to get Flash working on the
system, but nothing major.  I just had to make sure that all the
prerequisites were installed properly.  As to the programs that you use,
I don't use VirtualBox, but VMWare is running very well.  I have had no
issues with FireFox or Thunderbird either one.  Both seem to be stable
and working very well (only up for a couple of days right now).  I have
installed Wine and IEs4Linux (I do some web site development and need to
check it) and that works as expected.  GoogleEarth screams on this
machine, it becomes a usable application for me.

I installed Sun Java 6 and it went on without an issue, I haven't done
anything with it yet, but plan to do so shortly.  However, the Java
Plug-in is not there for it.  However, I installed the icedtea (Java 7)
plugin and it seems to be working for me.  I have used it to pull up a
couple of sites with Java Applets and not problems have been experienced
with it.

I haven't fully tested everything on this new machine, but so far I am
impressed with it.  I don't see any real reason not to run the 64 bit
version for most users.  My only lasting issue is with sound, but it is
specific to my install.  I will be putting a sound card in the system in
the next day or two to hopefully fix that problem.  The ASUS M2N-SLI
motherboard uses a C-Media USB sound system that apparently ALSA doesn't
really like.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account