JFS vs EXT3 vs XFS vs ReiserFS

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 29 02:19:02 UTC 2008

Paul S wrote:
> I've reinstalled hardy 4 times over the past 2 months due to the EXT3
> filesystem getting corrupted.  I didn't have any such problem on gutsy,
> just hardy.
>
> I'm just running a desktop, but using crypto and lvm to put both the
> root and swap within the same partition, with a separate small /boot
> partition.  All done from the alternate installer.
>
> So, after 3 installs with EXT3, I decided to try something else.  I
> notice the installer offers JFS, XFS, and ReiserFS, so I picked JFS for
> the 4th reinstall.
>
> I've been running it a couple days and have purposely crashed the system
> at least 10 times and not yet had any filesystem problem.  This makes me
> believe there is some bug in the EXT3 driver rather than a hardware
> problem on my harddrive.  I have a Seagate Technologies harddrive.
>
> I also noticed some bugs on launchpad about similar experiences with
> EXT3, but no solutions.
>
> I read some on wikipedia and googling, but I couldn't get anything more
> than specifications .. nothing on performance comparisons among the 4.
>
> Anyone know any reason to avoid JFS or use any other?
>
> TIA,

Dear Paul S:

My only useful input may be your reference to Seagate Hard drives.  I
have a Maxtor III Exterior Drive that I have had no end to problems
with, and it is a Seagate subsidiary.  It is a one Teri byte piece of
junk.   Apparently they have made a deal with Microsoft that has them
pre-configure their hard drives to Windows and Mac only with no support
for Linux.  Until this hard drive, all my Maxtors including the two
internal drives in my current computer have worked perfectly.
Apparently they include some type of bug that suites their goal.  My
error, I purchased it after reading that they don't support Maxtor, but
I have had so many Maxtor drives work perfectly in Linux, I made the
stupid assumption this one would be similar.  This only happened after
Seagate bought them.

For 20 years I have only used Maxtor hard drives and they have worked
perfectly until their affiliation with Seagate.  I am putting my Maxtor
III 800 400 USB2 in the trash can because they will not offer any help
getting it to work using Linux.  They are totally unresponsive and
solidly Microsoft in their thinking.  They won't even answer a question
that might help.  I am done with Seagate and Maxtor for joining the
support in trying to force everyone to join the Microsoft monopoly.
Think about it.

Steven, retired fine-artist