Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

Jesus Arocho jesus_arocho at comcast.net
Mon Apr 28 22:34:37 UTC 2008

> The cause to our problem is the udev rule file
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules.
> It is generated by /etc/udev/rules.d/75-cd-aliases-generator.rules.
> The point with
> that is to always have a symlink (/dev/dvd) pointing to your device no
> matter if you
> add or remove some other cd devices.
>
> The fix for me was to remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
> and it will be recreated
> at reboot.

Gave that a shot, the file is not recreated.  Also, I checked into /sys and
could not find an entry that would correspond to the Asus cd/dvd.  Since the
system only creates sda and not sdb or sdc, I wonder if the kernel is only
detecting the harddrive unit and not the cd/dvd unit and therefore udev will
not create the files.
It just occurred to me that I have a Plextor external/usb dvd unit.  I plugged
it in and the system recognized the device and created /dev/cdrom.  So, it
seems it is an issue with the kernel.  The system was working before with
UbuntuStudio and Gutsy, so something broke with the upgrade.