Assigning ROOT a password

chuck adams k7qo at commspeed.net
Mon Apr 28 20:20:44 UTC 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008 11:28:57 Willy Hamra wrote:
> > >  I believe "su" originally meant "superuser",
> >
> > Me, too, but since you can "su" to any user, I believe it's come to
> > mean "switch user".
>
> personally, i believe su means super user

BZZZZZZZZZZTTTT.  Wrong answers.

su was originally the  "substitute user" UNIX command.

su user_id  meant to change to new user and there
are some flags associated with the command.  su
with no user_id was to change to root and thus the
urban legend began by those that refused to RTFM
that it meant "super user".

FYI