Assigning ROOT a password

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Mon Apr 28 18:36:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > >  I believe "su" originally meant "superuser",
> >
> > Me, too, but since you can "su" to any user, I believe it's come to
> > mean "switch user".
> >

> personally, i believe su means super user

Yes, well, you actually can "su" to users other than root; I've done it.

> yes, and after trying kubuntu a year ago, i decided to apply the same method
> on windows, switch to a non-admin account and use runas, turns out to be
> hellish, it is much more difficult to keep running as, and this gets
> complicated if you want to "runas" something in control panel.

Yeah, it's not intuitive, as you sometimes have to rundll, etc.

> some are
> saying that the UAC in vista is similar, but just today in the slashdot
> mail, i read some report about how useless it is and how to run a program
> that does admin stuff without attracting UAC's attention (fake security in
> short)

No, it's security, just bad security.  :-) In fact, MS has outright
admitted UAC was written *deliberately* to annoy the user. Mostly as a
way to embarrass vendors into re-writing their applications to be more
secure.

> so bah! if it wasnt for my gaming, i would have dumped that IdiotOS
> long ago, and as a measure to prevent myself from hanging there a lot, i
> delibratly disabled the network drivers and made sure the firewall block all
> connections :P it is just this boring gaming box now!

It could be worse, you could have to use Loathsome Notes as an email
client. YUCH! :-)

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>