Assigning ROOT a password

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 18:28:57 UTC 2008

> >  I believe "su" originally meant "superuser",
>
> Me, too, but since you can "su" to any user, I believe it's come to
> mean "switch user".

personally, i believe su means super user

> >  but from the sudo website
> >  http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/intro.html: "Sudo (su "do") allows a system
> >  administrator..." certainly implies it should be pronounced "doo", but
> >  it'll always be "pseudo" to me :-)
>
> Whatever floats your boat. :-) As an unrelated sidenote, Windows also
> has a built-in sudo command (called "runas"), that's been there since
> Win2000, but not a "su" command (natively, anyway, altho you can
> "runas" the administrator and start a new shell, and sorta get the
> same effect).
> .

yes, and after trying kubuntu a year ago, i decided to apply the same method
on windows, switch to a non-admin account and use runas, turns out to be
hellish, it is much more difficult to keep running as, and this gets
complicated if you want to "runas" something in control panel. some are
saying that the UAC in vista is similar, but just today in the slashdot
mail, i read some report about how useless it is and how to run a program
that does admin stuff without attracting UAC's attention (fake security in
short), so bah! if it wasnt for my gaming, i would have dumped that IdiotOS
long ago, and as a measure to prevent myself from hanging there a lot, i
delibratly disabled the network drivers and made sure the firewall block all
connections :P it is just this boring gaming box now!