Security-related questions

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 28 16:30:00 UTC 2008

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> This surprises me.  While I haven't travelled with a laptop for years,
>> when I did I _never_ passed through a Canadian airport without having to
>> open, and turn on, my laptop and after 9/11 they also swabbed it to check
>> for
>> explosives.  These weren't random checks - every computer was checked.
>
> I've travelled a lot with a laptop around Europe (Spain, France, UK,
> Germany, Austria and Italy), yet special treatments for laptops only on
> three occasions, and it was not done to everybody travelling with a pc.
> I guess that means Canada is more worried than Europe about attacks on
> its planes, or the security is implemented better in Canada :)
> I.

The impression I've got about Canadian airport security is that they've
implemented all the recommendations that the Americans insist on - even
though many American airports haven't (well after 9/11, my boss actually
took a flight through some SW US city where people were seeing their
relatives off _on board the plane_!)
--
derek