Assigning ROOT a password. WAS: Re: Graphical Display Managers

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 28 14:19:17 UTC 2008

Michael Leone wrote:

> You just have to be careful, that's all. Of course, even if you don't
> assign root a password, you have to be careful you don't do something
> like "sudo rm -rf /*.*", too. :-) That'll mess up your whole day ...

There are less obvious ways:

$ cd /etc
$ sudo rm -r /home/derek/something *

Whatever "something" was, it was a directory I'd accidentally created under
sudo, so I needed to use sudo to delete it.  Unfortunately there was
supposed to be a / between "something" and "*".  Oops.  Bye-bye /etc/*!
--
derek