Domain name

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 28 13:32:06 UTC 2008

Paul Lemmons wrote:

> I have a similar setup at home. I set my router to always assign the
> same address to each machine, based on MAC address. I then add each of
> my machines to /etc/hosts. I can then refer to any of my machines by an
> unqualified name.

Get a better router!  That should be unnecessary - my Linksys router
maintains the host list, so you don't need to modify /etc/hosts everywhere.

Provided your dhclient.conf is configured to send the hostname to the DHCP
server (ubuntu sets this by default, but if you haven't changed your DHCP
client settings in a very long time - ie, since a very early Ubuntu
release - it might not), the router should add it to its domain records
when you request the IP address.

You need this in dhclient.conf:
 send host-name "<hostname>";

(that's literally correct - you don't need to fill in your own hostname
there, though that would work too).

The OP needs:

 request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;

because he doesn't seem to be getting the domain name (but I suspect it's
the router that's actually the problem - this is standard in every
dhclient.conf I've ever seen).
--
derek