64 bit: these are my apps

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:17:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Andrew Jarrett
<jarrett.andrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  * VirtualBox non-free. I use the non-free as I need USB support
>
>  I believe I was using the non-free on my 64-bit system at one time.
>

>  >  * Thunderbird (if Firefox is problematic, than thunderbird might be too)
>
>  I'm sure it is not a problem.
>
>  >  * Wine (only for winplot32)
>
>  There is a little special setup I think, but nothing too difficult.
>  I'm not sure if you actually have to follow these instructions, but I
>  think I did (for some reason).
>  http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb
>  I have never used winplot32 through, though.  Try checking the Wine
>  App Database.
>
>  >  * GoogleEarth
>
>  No idea.
>

>  >  * Sun Java (need it for studies)

  I need it for my studies too and I had it working on my 64-bit box.  I
>  believe the necessary package is called sun-java6-jdk (this is the
>  development kit which I assume you need - the package for just the
>  runtime environment is called sun-java6-jre).  If you need more, then
>  you can try:
>  apt-cache search sun java
>  at the command-line.

I can't add much to this but to say that I am running 64 bit and use
Firefox (really swiftweasel), java (with swift, so must be 32 bit??),
wine, and google earth on it. I would tell you which was 32 bit but I
don't remember. So anyway it can work.

--
Douglas E Knapp