Assigning ROOT a password

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 07:51:57 UTC 2008

i dont even know why you need a root password, i started using kubuntu a
year ago with feisty, and so far, i never cursed the fact that there is no
root password, i like it this way. i learned this lesson the hard way on
windows, default users there are admins, if people use non-admin users,
viruses wouldnt have been this widespread. it is a better practice to avoid
root, i know that most of you would say you are going to log as root for few
minutes only, but a lot of newbies out there will be glad to read these
emails and start spending all their time as root. that is one of the reasons
that made the ubuntu developers decide to make root in accessible in the
first place.