Assigning ROOT a password

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Mon Apr 28 03:51:46 UTC 2008

> The reason for not having a root password is to prevent the
> software that is used to crack passwords from being able
> to get to your system.

huh?  I am dizzified by this statement.

Seems counterintuitive to all that I have been taught about user account
security.  I can hear the MS sys admins hollaring now, use a 16-digit,
random, 4 special characters, 4 lower-case, 4 upper-case, and 4 numbers
password!

If the above is the case, it leads to the next question, why assign any
passwords for other usernames?  I'd like to know the logic behind the above
quoted statement better....and what distinguishes security for root, vice
security for a username that uses its own password for SUDO access, that can
lead to root access?

Larry