How to copy ~/.kde from old system to new?

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Mon Apr 28 01:45:51 UTC 2008

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Larry Hartman wrote:

> So it would be a good idea to consult the system settings and make a list
> of usernames/UIDs and create them in UID order, when I do the reinstall?  I
> am pressing my Staples button.....many thanx to all for clarification.

On second thought, the only way you can truly go wrong is if you forget the
username and password you just created during the installation.  If you call
yourself the same thing, you should take ownership of your own files when you
boot the first time, but if you call yourself something different, your user
will still own your old home directory, but you will own it in addition to
your brand new home directory created from /etc/skel.

Say you were "lhartman" on the old install, and now you're "larry."  I'd
expect you'd have a /home/lhartman full of your old files, owned by uid
1000:gid 1000, and a new /home/larry also owned by uid 1000:gid 1000.

No matter what, as long as you can remember the details for the account you
just created during the intall, you can get in and use sudo to rearrange
things as necessary with chown -R and so forth to get things straight.  So
there isn't any real risk here.  Even so, it would probably be most
convenient just to create everything in the same order, and skip the
rearranging step.

--
D. Michael McIntyre