Assigning ROOT a password. WAS: Re: Graphical Display Managers

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Sun Apr 27 21:31:13 UTC 2008

Michael wrote:
> Michael Leone wrote:
>> Assign root a password, and then you should be able to log in as root.
>> It's your machine - if you want to run it that way, do so. Just because
>> Kubuntu doesn't provide one by default, doesn't mean you can't (or
>> shouldn't) do what works best for your own situation.
>>
>> I always provide a root password, as the first thing I do on an Ubuntu
>> install, as I prefer to be able to login as root, or su to root, as I
>> feel I need to, to manage my machine as I see best. My choice, of course.
>
> I didn't know this was possible!  One of my biggest (actually, probably
> my only) peeve about K/Ubuntu is not having a ROOT account.  I forget
> the logic that used to make this decision.  In any case, if I remember
> correctly, it had something to do with ease of transition for Windows
> users.  I always thought that was a load of b*llsh*t 'cause even Windows
> has ADMIN accounts.
>
> Anyway, I'll stop ranting.  How does one go about assigning ROOT a password?

sudo passwd root

<http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-and-disable-ubuntu-root-password.html>

You just have to be careful, that's all. Of course, even if you don't
assign root a password, you have to be careful you don't do something
like "sudo rm -rf /*.*", too. :-) That'll mess up your whole day ...

--
Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>