Graphical Display Managers

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 14:50:26 UTC 2008

2008/4/27 Constantinos Maltezos <pandarsson at yahoo.com>:

>  Also... to the original poster, as you know, you can choose which window
>  manager to log into via the menu.  If you use "startx", you have to add the
>  wm binary and it's full path to launch a certain wm.  For instance, if I want
>  to start X with icewm managing the windows, I type "startx /usr/bin/icewm".
>  Typing it without an argument always gives you the default.

When i starting X with the startx script i always add the programs i wanted
to run in ~./.xinitrc. Something like this:

cat > ~/.xinitrc << "EOF"
# Begin .xinitrc file
xterm  -g 80x40+0+0   &
xclock -g 100x100-0+0 &
twm
EOF

Your window manager must be the last command and not running in the
background. For KDE replace twm with startkde, for fluxbox replace with
startfluxbox.

/ Jonas