No onboard sound after upgrading to hardy

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 14:36:38 UTC 2008

2008/4/27 Geoffrey Bays <charioteer7 at gmail.com>:
> I just upgraded from kubuntu gutsy to hardy on my amd 64 x2 machine,
>  and am not getting any onboard sound. the sound worked in Gutsy. The
>  sound card seems to be detected in lspci:
>
>  00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
>         Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 2a34
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
>         Memory at fe024000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
>  Queue=0/0 Enable-
>         Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping
>
>  yes, I unmuted and upped master sound level in kmix, hoping to hear
>  something, but no go.
>  artsd sound server is running as expected.
>  any help would be much appreciated.
>
>  thanks

Hi

By just looking at the output of lspci will not tell you if drivers
have been loaded or
working. Better then to check the output of /proc/asound/cards (think it's that)
to see what soundcards has been recongised and drivers loaded for.

The command lsmod will show you what modules has been loaded. The driver
for your card i think is snd-hda-intel, see if that is loaded.

/ Jonas