How to copy ~/.kde from old system to new?

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Sun Apr 27 14:42:13 UTC 2008

On Saturday 26 April 2008 12:46:04 pm Nils Kassube wrote:
> Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > On the other hand,  copying all of  ~/.kde over from an older release
> > shouldn't be a problem because if something goes bad,  you can always
> > delete the copy and start .kde from scratch on the new release.   And
> > still have your old copy of it.
>
> Overwriting ~/.kde with data from an older release should never be a
> problem because the files will be updated to the new version after the
> next login. However overwriting with data from a newer version than the
> actually started version might be a problem.
>

> Nils

I actually need this conversation.  I have my /home/ files saved in separate
partition, I need to wipe the system files clean on one of my machines and
reload.  I wish to reuse those files in the /home/ directory when I
reestablish user accounts for this same user.

What steps do I need to take? Initially my instincts tell me that I should use
the same username.  My experience with MS tells me that if used the same
username the OS would build new directories anyways and ignore what is
already present....

Larry