Video settings

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Apr 27 13:22:47 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Was the KVM switched to the 8.04 machine while the xserver started? If the
> KVM is switched to another machine, the xserver can't read the specs from
> the monitor and uses safe settings.
>

>> I've used the same monitor with Kubuntu 7.0*, 7.10, OpenSuSE 10.3, and
>> Windows XP without any problem. I'm thinking somewhere there is a
>> config file that I can edit to set things right but I don't know what
>> it would be. Something with "x" I would think.
>>

> You could copy the section with the monitor specs from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> from e.g. 7.10.
>

> Nils

For Dana - Thank you, that was the file I was thinking of.

The KVM switch was set to the proper machine for the whole install process.

Here's the pertinent section of xorg,conf from the 8.04 machine:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
    Boardname    "Intel 845"
    Busid        "PCI:0:2:0"
    Driver        "i810"
    Screen    0
    Vendorname    "Intel"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
    Vendorname    "Plug 'n' Play"
    Modelname    "Plug 'n' Play"
  modeline  "640x480 at 60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
    Gamma    1.0
EndSection

 From the 7.10 machine:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200]"
    Driver        "fglrx"
    Busid        "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Device        "ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200]"
    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
    Defaultdepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Modes        "1280x1024"    "1024x768"    "832x624"
"800x600"    "720x400"    "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

The native resolution for the monitor is 1280x1024 with a horizontal
refresh of 80 and a vertical of 75. It almost looks to me like the 8.04
is running 640x480 at 60 BUT the resolution on the screen is not 640x480.
It "looks" more like 1280x1024. The "60" would explain the flicker though.

I'm open for suggestions. *<[:o)