Video settings

Dana J. Laude kc9aae at att.net
Sun Apr 27 05:43:07 UTC 2008

Billie Walsh wrote:
> I replaced my SuSE install [ it was trashed anyway ] with Kubuntu 8.04
> on my secondary computer to play with. I share the monitor with a KVM
> switch between the two computers. In 8.04 the monitor flickers. I need
> to change the refresh settings. In System Settings I'm not given the
> option to do so. The Monitor is an IC Power 900G. A search for IC Power
> and 900G fails to bring up anything useful.
>
> Is there some way to reset this outside System Settings?

If know what your correct specs are for monitor, you can manually edit
your xorg.conf file, which is located in the /etc/X11 directory. I
would suggest you do cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.org, (or something similar)
prior.., just in case. :) For example, my monitor section looks like so:

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
     HorizSync	 30.0 - 65.0
     VertRefresh  50.0 - 100.0
     Option	"DPMS"
EndSection

The important parts are HorizSync and VertRefresh. You should put YOUR
monitor manufactors specs in there, or possible monitor trashing may
occur. Hope this helps.

Dana