No onboard sound after upgrading to hardy

Geoffrey Bays charioteer7 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 01:12:48 UTC 2008

I just upgraded from kubuntu gutsy to hardy on my amd 64 x2 machine,
and am not getting any onboard sound. the sound worked in Gutsy. The
sound card seems to be detected in lspci:

00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 2a34
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
        Memory at fe024000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping

yes, I unmuted and upped master sound level in kmix, hoping to hear
something, but no go.
artsd sound server is running as expected.
any help would be much appreciated.

thanks