How to change locale?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 19:16:14 BST 2008

I need to configure an Israeli locale "he_IL.utf8" instead of the
current "en_US.UTF-8". I ran dpkg-reconfigure locales and configured
the system so that the needed locale is present, but my user is still
on the old local. From google I saw that I should simply add these
lines to ~/.bashrc:
export LC_ALL=he_IL.utf8
export LANG=he_IL.utf8

However, that has the side effect of making the C locale Israeli as
well. In Feisty (installed until yesterday) I had the Israeli locale
without those lines in bashrc. This is my current setup:

$ locale -a
en_AU.utf8
en_BW.utf8
en_CA.utf8