How to copy ~/.kde from old system to new?

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sat Apr 26 18:39:33 UTC 2008

On Saturday 26 April 2008, Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> Hi,
> Please excuse my ignorance but I wonder why you need to copy those folders
> and if that is good practice. I would fear that by trying only to restore
> some custom settings you had on 7.04 you could overwrite 8.04 files with
> incompatible older files.
> Could someone elaborate on this?
>
> Just out of curiosity, but thanks anyway                Perry

My thoughts are a bit different.

I have always kept my /home from release to release and had very minimal
trouble.   That and the fact that I back up /home every night makes it an
easy task.

I usually install a new release on a 'lab rat' machine on the first go and
find any problems that way.  But if I were to do it on my primary machine, I
would make a copy of /home before I upgraded.

In no way would I wish the swapping of files from an old release to a new
release manually.   Too easy to miss something.

On the other hand,  copying all of  ~/.kde over from an older release
shouldn't be a problem because if something goes bad,  you can always delete
the copy and start .kde from scratch on the new release.   And still have
your old copy of it.