Security-related questions

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 16:03:12 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 April 2008 16:45:27 Willy Hamra wrote:
> > > I read something the
> > > other day, that a laptop hard disk was cloned at border control. You
> > > can't really hide an account because the user name has to be listed
> > > in /etc/passwd. Maybe you want to read a bit about truecrypt at
> > > <http://www.truecrypt.org>, but I can't tell you how safe that would be
> > > at border control.
> >
> > Failing to deliver the decryption key could be a violation of the PATRIOT
> > act.
>
> i dont live in the US, so dont exactly know the PATRIOT act, but what are
> you saying? if the border control were unable to see my data due to a
> certain security measure i've taken, say encryption, i have to help them
> get the info? what about the user or root password? are people forced to
> give that too?

In this country - the UK - not divulging the password or encryption key when
you are asked for it by the police is, or is about to become, (I am not sure
exactly how far down the line the legislation is) a criminal offence - even
if the reason you do not give it is that it doesn't exist or that you have
forgotten it.

Lisi