Ubuntu with KDE vs Kubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Apr 25 02:03:48 BST 2008

Francisco Borges wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> install the Gnome app.  The mere fact that I have chosen to install an
>> app should logically mean I want that to be the default application for
>> the
>> job.  I'd be just as annoyed if I had to manually make every non-KDE
>> application I have the default.
>
> Or I could be just trying the application, or I could have a multi
> user set up, and be installing that for just one user.

I'll accept the multi-user issue - you're right that something _I_ install
(even as root) shouldn't affect somebody else's defaults, and I hadn't
considered that.  But I still don't accept that it's wrong to set _my_
default handler for something I've installed to the latest package I
install.  It's less trouble for everybody.  If you're just "trying it out",
the issue is not changing the default, but _failing_ to change it back when
you uninstall the package.

> If you were using aptitute it should handle that for you (unless the
> packages were installed as recommened...)

Er, have you actually _tried_ using aptitude _without_
installing "recommends"?  That's the default way aptitude works, and if you
try to override it for a specific package, it has a bad habit of trying to
remove _every_ package that was installed just because it was recommended.
Not something _I_ recommend.

> But removing gnome-core should also do it.

No such package on my system.
--
derek