Security-related questions

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Fri Apr 25 03:37:09 UTC 2008

Is it possible to create two user accounts, one that shows up in the KDM/GDM
logon display with restricted accesses, and another that is invisible to
KDM/GDM with more accesses?

In the same vein, pertaining to these two accounts, is it possible to restrict
visibility to certain directories from the restricted account--to hide
directories and files from view, even the "hidden" options in the various
file managers--so that only when logging into the user account with more
access do they become visible?

In such a scenario what realistic measures and trade-offs would need to be
addressed to tighten security in this regard?  I would suspect boot-time
failsafe mode would have to be made unavailable as well...this in itself
comes with some inherent risk.

I am curious because I read a trial brief this week concerning a laptop that
was inspected by border control agents through actually turning it on.

Larry