Ubuntu with KDE vs Kubuntu

Francisco Borges francisco.borges at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 23:24:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Wulfy <wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Francisco Borges wrote:

>  > neither one thing nor the other. Well my point is that I expect the
>  > setup of having KDE as my main desktop not to be ignored whenever I
>  > install something from Gnome. But that does not happen in practice.

>  If you do the reverse (add a KDE app to GNOME desktop) does the same
>  thing happen?

I don't think so.

The default application for a given file is set on /etc/mailcap and
/etc/mailcap.order (see "man mailcap.order" for details)

In /etc/mailcap the default files for each file type is set.

The system will normally be set to give higher priority to Gnome
applications. Because the packages are all the same, and Kubuntu
doesn't do anything to change the priority setting from Ubuntu.

To verify what I am talking about:

cd /usr/lib/mime/packages
grep priority *

[...]

Another preference system in a Debian system is /etc/alternatives.
This is not pertinent to this discussion, but also in this case  the
priorities are hard coded in the deb files. Though here you can
override them during the package installation.

(see "man update-alternatives" for details)

Cheers,
--
Francisco