8.04 and bittorrent

chuck adams k7qo at commspeed.net
Thu Apr 24 15:17:45 BST 2008

The bittorrent download is available for 8.04, and in fact I
am downloading as we speak.  Looks like about 45 mins
or less using a 1.5M link to the Internet.

Using ktorrent and the torrent files are at

http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/8.04/kubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

and

http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/8.04/kubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Try it.  I started a 'wget' and that was going to take 12 hours or more.
ktorrent is the way to go and you also help by starting a download as your
system seeds a part of the distribution.  The more the merrier.  And if you
can leave ktorrent running on a system for the next week or so, you'll help
a lot of people.  The tendency is for people to download and then terminate
ktorrent.  That doesn't help if a lot of people don't help seed for the others
that follow.  FYI.

Hope this helps someone not familiar with the package.  It may start out a
little slow, but it will speed up as the system gets more time to work out
the load among every one else connected and seeding the distro.

try

ktorrent
http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/8.04/kubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

all on one liine in a terminal window.