how to force FF to use realplayer?

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Wed Apr 23 16:20:37 UTC 2008

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Billie Walsh said the following at 04/18/2008 09:41 AM :
>
>> D. R. Evans wrote:
>>
> \
>

>>> It's really weird that FF seems to completely ignore the fact that
>>> x/pn-realaudio is supposed to be started with rp instead of mplayer.
>>>

>> In Firefox, take a look at Preferences > Content > File Types > Manage
>>

> So how do I add a file type to that list? The downloaded file has the
> extension ".ram" and MIME type audio/x-pn-realaudio. That type is not
> mentioned in the current list of preferences (so I don't know why FF is
> deciding to use the mplayer plug-in to play it -- you'd think that it would
> interrogate the OS as to the right right application, but it clearly doesn't).
>
>   Doc

I hadn't ever played with that particular setting. I "assumed" there was
some way to add something. Should never do that. There's a similar place
in Thunderbird that allows additions as well as changes.

I kind of did a short bit of digging through some Firefox directories
but couldn't find the file that opens from that location. But one thing
that pops out at me is that I don't see Realplayer listed anywhere as a
"plugin" even though I can watch Realplayer videos. Perhaps I'm not
watching it in "Realplayer" at all.