Klaptopdaemon / Battery Monitor

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Apr 22 17:10:09 UTC 2008

Rick Knight wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Rick Knight wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, I am running kde-guidance,
>>>
> AT least it's in startup. Does it start kde-guidance-powermanage?

No.   But now I think I'm going to have to either hurt you or ... myself.
I've lost my battery applet, I can't find kde-guidance-powermanager (the
program not the package - I've used this often enough that when I type
Alt-F2-k, kde-guidance-powermanager shows up) and guidance-power-manager
fails miserably.  And I can't reinstall the package because the archive
servers are overloaded...

kde-guidance-powermanager _should_ be started out of /usr/share/autostart.
Now I see guidance-power-manager.desktop, there, but it isn't pointing to a
real executable!  I don't know what I've done, but when I fix it, I should
have no trouble getting yours working :-)

> When I start acpid from a terminal I get this...
>
> root at rick-laptop:~# /etc/init.d/acpid start
> [ OK ]
>  * Starting ACPI services...
> [ OK ]
>
> It's loading OK from the command. Also, I've removed powersaved and
> rebooted and I no longer get the startup error from acpid.

That's good - it's definitely necessary.

> The battery module is loading alon with other modules for acpid support
> (battery ac processor button fan thermal bay dock) from
> /etc/default/acpid. That taskbar icon still does not give battery
> status. What next?
>
> Thanks again for your help, sorry for the frustration,

Now you may need "/etc/init.d/dbus restart" because dbus doesn't know it can
get the battery status (though I would have thought after the reboot you'd
be fine).
--
derek